Thursday, January 22, 2009

UNCW Meal Plans

This is completely unrelated to class but in order to best formulate my thoughts for a proposal it helps me to write them down a bunch of times so here it goes.

I transfered in this semester and live on campus in the University Apartments which means I have my own room and four of us share a full kitchen. I didn't sign up for a meal plan because I planned to cook all of meals in the apartment however it is required that if you live on campus you have a meal plan. The cheapest meal plans available to me are Suite 7 plus $450 food dollars or Suite 115 plus $400 food dollars for $1365 a semester. That breaks down to $85.31 a week for food. I can prepare three healthy meals for myself for $25 a week.

There are two other housing communities on campus that have kitchens. Students living in those communities are given the option of selecting from the same meal plans I can BUT they also have the option of selecting meal plans like Bonus 55 where they get $600 food dollars for $545 per semester.

I believe that it is unfair to not offer those same options to students living in the University Apartments when they are equipped with the same facilities as Seahawk Landing and Village. I am requesting that I not be made to have a meal plan, I simply would like the option to cook for myself when the facilities to do so have been provided to me through my choice in housing.

I understand that it is important for students to use the dining facilities on campus to promote socialization, campus involvement and the campus economy. I do not believe that a majority of the students would chose the meal plans where they would be preparing or providing for a majority of their meals on their own but I do think that the option should be made available to students residing in equally outfitted housing communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment