Sunday, January 18, 2009

The chic in the car

So I re-read The Lady in the Pink Mustang a bunch of times (roughly 12) and I have decided that the voice in the poem is of a 50+ year old woman who has found out she is terminally ill -I'll say breast cancer- and she decided to buy a pink Mustang and drive across the country to experience what she can before she dies. Really she's running away for it under the guise of experience life. That or it's the voice of a hooker... maybe the hooker found out she has black syphilis and then takes a road trip.

Either way, I didn't enjoy the poem. I think that if you can't make sense of what you are reading after the 12th time than it's not any good. I also don't think that because a poet writes one or two really good poems means that everything else they write is worthy of notoriety that the good pieces are. That is why in the music business they have 'one hit wonders!'

No comments:

Post a Comment