Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sleepy and computer sabotage

I read the short story "Sleepy" for class today and of the four stories we read, I remember that one the best because I identify with the character. The exhaustion of the main character is conveyed to the reader in the slow, dull, pace of the story not just in the words themselves which I thought was interesting. That is not the only way I identified with the character though. I would not be as bold as to say that military service and servanthood are are equals but in many ways they are and there were many days I had to continue working on little or no sleep. One time in-particular stands out when I had only about three hours of sleep in a 72 hour period but had to keep working at my computer station until it was time to go out and hold the line for 2-3 hours of refueling and stores on-load. After that it was back to 40-50 degree air conditioning and my computer screen and more work until my shift was over but I was needed after my shift and there was work to be done other places after that. I had World Religions class for an hour and a half every day and two independent study courses. After about 65 hours of being up my LT. felt so bad he brought me Cappuccino from the officers' wardroom in a nice porcelain cup and saucer which was very nice compared to the styrofoam cup and machine powder mix coffee the enlisted people usually get! Near the end I had on at least one occasion considered sabotaging my system so that I could go to sleep while it got fixed!

No comments:

Post a Comment